M. De Ligny

The epic tale of Burgundy wines really began in 1114 with the founding of the “second Cistercian daughter”, the famous abbey of Pontigny, a few kilometers from Chablis and our company’s winery. To meet their needs, the Cistercian monks very quickly developed the Chablis vineyards. Under their influence and over the centuries, wine growing spread throughout Burgundy. The monks, followed by the wine growers, drew up a precise cartography of the soils.

They will also built up specific wine growing and winemaking knowhow, making the wines of Burgundy unlike any others. We are the proud heirs of these pioneers and in our turn perpetuate this unique history.
The celebrated terroirs and “Climats” of Burgundy are listed as UNESCO world heritage, protecting our magnificent wine region and ensuring it has even greater worldwide fame.


Our young, dynamic M. De Ligny “Maison” is located in the small wine village of Ligny-le-Châtel, at the tip of the Chablis vineyards. Each day we strive to combine pleasure and generosity through our range of Burgundy wines.
First and foremost, the name of our wine company pays tribute to Ligny-le-Châtel, the historic village where we are based, a few kilometers from Chablis.

It is also a nod to Marguerite de Bourgogne, a fine and noble lady, from whose name we have taken our first initial!
In a way, M. De Ligny represents Marguerite of Burgundy, our “Maison”, as well as the Modernity of our wines. Our three Burgundy “M”s.


“Qui vinum facit bonum gignit”. He who makes Wine, creates Good: this is the motto of Maison M.De Ligny. This saying is the link between our wine house’s vocation – to create fine wines and provide immense pleasure to those who drink them – and Marguerite de Bourgogne, a historical figure who left her mark on the history of Ligny-le-Chatel through her kindness and generosity.
The daughter of Duke Eudes of Burgundy, Marguerite de Bourgogne (1250-1308) was the wife of Charles I of Anjou (brother of St. Louis).

On the death of her husband, she retired to her family’s lands in Ligny, and then in Tonnerre, widowed and childless. To compensate for her years at Court, she led a life of charity and prayer, committing herself to the care of the sick and poor when she returned to Burgundy. The house known as “de la Reine de Sicile” (of the Queen of Sicily), where she lived intermittently, still stands in our village today.